How You Can Help:
By volunteering or by making a donation:
Donations: Metro is a 501(C)(3) qualified charitable organization and you can deduct contributions or gifts you give. To make a tax deductible donation, that will aid survivors of all types of violence in securing shelter, counseling, and alternatives to violence, check out the following options:
1. Items can be donated at Metro Centers for Community Advocacy between the hours of 8:30-4:00pm, Monday and Wednesday. Please call Metro for further information.
2. For a current wish list of items needed in the shelter please see the Wish List below.
3. Please make checks payable to: Metro Centers for Community Advocacy, P.O. Box 10775, Jefferson, LA 70181.
4. Online donations are now available. Make a secure, online donation to Metro using the JustGive system. www.justgive.org
5. Metro also collects inactive cell phones. These phones can be used by survivors to have the ability to dial 911.Please check with your tax advisor to report tax deductible donations.Wish List (please do not wrap items)
Wal-Mart or KmartFor Adults:Personal care products: African- American hair care products, new make-up, curling irons, blow dryers.Clothing: New or gently used LARGE sized clothes (sizes 12 and up). New underwear all sizes, stockings, robes, nightgowns, and slippers
Alarm clocks, umbrellas and rain ponchos, gift certificates (Wal-Mart, Kmart, grocery stores…) irons, ironing boards, radios, any type of suitcases or tote bags.
Clothing: khaki and navy blue shorts or long pants, white, red, navy blue polo shirts (for school uniforms), new underwear for boys and girls all sizes, new or gently used regular clothes and shoes, all sizes. Youth size rain ponchos, small umbrellas.
Book bags or back packs clear or mesh, black marble composition books, spiral notebooks, black and red pens, pencils, pencil sharpeners, three prong folders with pockets. Art Supplies: Play Doh, water colors, colored pencils, crayons, oil pastels, poster boards, washable markers, paint pens, washable paints, yarn, string.Toys: Sketch books, action heroes DVDs (Hulk, Ironman), Play Doh, board games (Connect Four, Monopoly, Candyland), toy cell phones/purses/dress up sets, Disney DVDs, toy cooking sets, educational gamse & toys, dolls.Teen Items: Jewelry boxes, makeup, portable CD players, radios with CD players, gift cards to clothing, music, or book stores, bath products, perfume.
For the Agency:
Shelter Supplies: Single and double sized bed sheets, pillow cases, new bed pillows, strollers, baby beds and baby bedding sheets and blankets, gift certificates for stores that can fill prescriptions, wheel chairs, fold-away beds.